Thursday, January 4, 2007

Skematics and Thoughts on System Design




Here are some one-line diagrams on how I envision the system, both an AC and a DC version. I'm leaning toward the AC system design, but we'll evaluate the merits of any system design submitted as part of a bid. In all but the lowest wind speeds, the AC system produces more power (in my models) and at high wind speeds, the difference is huge. I'll post my energy productions predictions in a later post along with the estimates for the peak load and daily kWh usage.

I've been using the E15 turbines in both the 35kW and 65kW configuration as a means of evaluating each system design. I've chosen them to use in planning because I know the people at EMS and they're sound machines. Information is readily available on the machines and I found several studies which broke down the cost of installing E15 systems. The E15 was a cost effective machine in every study and I can use the pricing information to design the costs of the system. I am not endorsing EMS or the E15, I just need to use something in the planning.

I believe that a flexible, expandable, robust, easy to use control system is the key to the technical success of this system. We're working with very little wind data and out estimates of load are rough at best, so the system designers have very little to go on. Additionally, I believe there will be times when the system is producing its rated power for extended periods of time and producing more power than the system can handle. So I believe that the designers of the control system have their work cut out for them.

I also believe the secondary or dump load will be crucial to this project. To make the system work efficiently, we will need to find a usable sink for energy when the system is producing more energy than the primary load needs. Some ideas that we've come up with are: electric space and water heaters for the winter months, ice machines for the summer months, water pumping for irrigation or a battery charging station that locals can bring a battery to get charged. Each brings on their own challenges, not the least of which is increased cost, especially if we have different systems for the changing seasons. Additionally, I've modeled some system designs and at peak wind times the power produced is roughly 2-4 times the needed load. Ideally, we'd design a system that can take advantage of that extra power rather than shedding it, but it may not be practical.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hі there to еѵeгу , becauѕe I am reаlly
еager of rеaԁіng thіs web site's post to be updated on a regular basis. It contains fastidious information.

Here is my blog Selektah new youth culture clothing brand